You are engaged, but now you have a long list of things you must do to get ready. You are probably looking at the perfect wedding dress, the perfect wedding venue, the perfect cake, but have you thought about getting your hair in shape for your wedding? I know everyone typically thinks about getting physically in shape for their wedding, so you may be asking what I mean by saying getting your hair in shape for your wedding. During your wedding and while you are planning your wedding your body will go through a lot of stress. Taking care of your self and your hair will help you have the perfect look on the day of you wedding, so that your hair will go with your perfect gown.
- Know your hair type. You should know if your hair is thick, fine, curly, straight, how it dries when your do not use any heat, etc. These types of things will help when you get a hairstylist to work on your updo for your wedding. If your hair is naturally straight but you want it curly on the day of your wedding then the stylist may need extra time to set your hair in the morning.
- Exercise, Sleep, Eat Healthy. Everything just works better when we’re sleeping well. Our body needs time to grow hair and does this best when you’re sleeping, eating right and exercising regularly, but like your skin, your hair will also show it’s true colours when it’s not healthy. When we’re not taking care of ourselves, our hair tends to looks dull and lifeless.Most of the time we will go out and buy expensive products to compensate for the lack lustre in our hair, when all we need to do is take care of ourselves a little better.
- Use hot oil treatments/Trim hair regularly. Getting your hair trimmed every 6 – 8 weeks helps with split ends and makes your hair healthier. When your hair is healthy, it grows! Try using hot oil treatments regularly and massage your scalp well when applying them, this will help stimulate your hair follicles. Try wrapping your hair loosely in a warm towel while you wait. It really helps with dry brittle winter hair. I have never tried this personally, but I kind of want to try it now though.
- Wash hair only when it is dirty. DO NOT WASH YOUR HAIR EVERY DAY!!!! Washing your hair everyday strips the hair of it’s natural oils. It will make your hair more brittle and dry. Each person will need to develop their own routine of how often to wash their hair. I used to wash it every other day when I was in high school because we had well water and it was really harsh on my hair. Once I went to college and realized not all water was that harsh I quickly developed a routine that treated my hair so much better.
- Avoid using hot water, blow dryers, straighteners, curlers, etc. I know this one is probably the hardest one not to do. After a long day at work, the one thing we all look forward to doing is taking a nice long hot shower. I have found you can still take a hot shower just when you go to wash your hair turn the temperature down. The hot water opens the follicles and more hair falls out. The cooler temperature also helps your hair keep its shine.
If you have any more questions about ways to get your hair or skin ready for your big day our stylists would love to talk to you. Feel free to email our Tres Belle Beauty team with any of your questions.